- The main demographic on this dating site is those aged 50 and above.
- 52% of the members on OurTime are females while the remaining 48% are males.
How You Get Matched
- You can even search for any other profile to connect with.
- Their extensive profiles have details about your preferences, hobbies and your physical traits.
- 30 new matches are provided each day
- OurTime’s match system connects you with people who are the closest match to your preferences as well as your personal traits and habits. Age groups are also a minor factor in matching
- Although there is no questionnaire like many other sites, you will have a set of details that you will have to fill in on your profile which would help make matches more accurate.
- From time to time, you will see pop-ups asking you more questions about yourself and your ideal type so that the system will be able to learn more about you and proffer better matches.
- You can search based on those who are online, those who have viewed your profile and by any keyword.
- Their FAQ has all the answers to commonly asked questions about subscription, profile settings, account details, billing, payment and even a feature to report an issue.
- Their blog site, OurTime Magazine has all the relationship advice, success stories and exclusive articles from dating experts.
Profile Registration & Features
- 1. Sign-ups can be done directly from the OurTime website. ourtime.com
- 2. Select your location, either “United States” or “Canada”.
- 3. Key in your local postal code to verify your location.
- 4. Enter your first name and a new password for your brand new account
- 5. Enter your date of birth.
- 6. Go on and enter your email address.
- 7. Upload some pictures of yourself, so that other singles would know what you look like.
- 8. Write a short description of yourself to be displayed on your profile
- 9. From here onwards, you will need to answer a few questions that will be used to gauge your preferences and personality. Answer all the questions.
- 10. Choose if you’d like to opt-in for a subscription to OurTime. You can always skip for now and subscribe later if you want to.
- 11. Your profile is now complete and you will be redirected to their “Home” page.
- 1. You will see 6 main tabs : “Home”, “Inbox”, “Search”, “Matches”, “Tokens” and “Event”
- 2. You can view your profile completion status at the top right-hand corner.
- 3. The top right-hand corner also has a quick access area for “Messages”, “Flirts” and “Views”
- 4. You can see who is online at the moment from the “Available To Chat” pane. You can also send them a flirt from here.
- 5. The “About” section has a set of quick facts about you as well as your preferences.
- 6. You can add a few additional details about yourself and your ideal type so that people can get to know you better.
- 7. The “Personality Quiz” area has a few questions that give others some insight into how you are as a person.
- 8. The “My Top Interests” area displays your interests and hobbies.
Q : Can I block people that I don’t like?
A : Yes, you can block any user that you no longer want to be in contact with by clicking/tapping on the “Block” icon that is available on each user’s profile.
Q : How do I send a message to someone?
A : You can send a message to someone by going into their profile and accessing the “Message” feature on their profile. If they are online at the moment, you can also send a message to them by clicking/tapping on their profile from the “Available To Chat” pane and the chat feature will pop-up for you to send them a message.
Q : Can I use OurTime on my smartphone?
A : Yes, you can. OurTime is available for smartphone users as individual app versions for both iOS and Android users. You will need to download the app and have an active Internet connection to be able to effectively use the OurTime applications.
Q : How do I contact Customer Service?
A : You can contact OurTime’s customer service agents from their “Help” feature at the footer of every webpage on the site. You can also use the “Contact Us” feature from their FAQ area to send an email to them as well.
5. Q : How do I report a user?
A : You can report a user directly from their profile. You can also use the “Report a Concern” feature from their FAQ site to file a formal complaint to OurTime.